Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Homebrew: The Masquerade

I’m working on this homebrew world, and the idea of masks has been floating around in my head for awhile. I really love the idea of masks representing different classes, and the idea that a character could change masks simply by taking one off and putting another on.
Art by: https://lovestruck2.deviantart.com/
Then today I fell down a youtube hole and spend three hours watching Kingdom Hearts videos. All I wanted to do was dump every other thing I’m working on, and jump into a Kingdom Hearts system... especially since there don’t appear to be any really great ones out there (if you know of one, point me in its direction!)

But I resisted. I’m already running three different games. I don’t need to pick up a forth. 
But then the idea of the masks came back to me, and a bunch of things fell together for me.
I really like it when settings have a way to control power. Not everyone should be a level 20 wizard like in Faerun.
So this is what I came up with. In my homebrew world there are three ways to access power (aka, class levels).
  • Training
  • Spellbinding
  • Inheriting or calling a mask.
Training is available for all classes but Sorcerer, and maybe Warlock (depending on what I decide to do with patrons). However, without supernatural means, mortals can only access a certain amount of power. A character can train to a total of five class levels.
Spellbinding. In my world, spells are literal people. They are beings of chaos thrust from the elemental planes to land on the material realm. Sorcerers bind spells, and the different types of spells that they bind act as their origins. Binding one spell let's a Sorcerer train through 5 levels. But then it maxes out, and a sorcerer must bind a new spell. The first spell a Sorcerer binds is the only one that grants an origin, and binding a spell is an inherently evil act.
Inheriting a mask (or performing a masquerade) is the path to ultimate power. A mask allows you to train in any class, up to level 20. Once received, a mask is bound with your soul, and you can never have another. The mask grows along with you, so it starts at level one, and can level from there. Masks can also gain visages which grant them unique appearances and abilities (extra spells, feats, etc). Masks are not inherently good or evil, although many specific masks are associated with good or evil since they are generally handed down from master to apprentice.
In the end, masks ended up looking almost nothing like keyblades. But... that's pretty much where I started from. So, go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strixhaven and Cypher: NPC Companions and Rules for Studying and Exams

 Strixhaven in Cypher I'm running Strixhaven and powering it with the Cypher System. And by running Strixhaven I mean that I'm runni...