Friday, March 16, 2018

Freedom Fridays: Micro Stories

It's Freedom Friday, where I write whatever the flip I want. Because seven days of blog posts is insane, and I'm going to die, and why am I still doing this?! I'm in a prison formed by my own aspirations, and all I want is FREEDOM!!!

Micro stories are a thing that I started doing for my Urban Fantasy game. I've been listening to a lot of Friends at the Table recently, and one thing I really like about what Austin does is the bits of story and lore that pop up at the beginning of each episode. Most of the time they are in the forms of letters or communications, and a lot of the time they don't talk about things that directly influence the plot. But they always add a tiny bit to the world, and I think that they are a great way to set the mood.

I have a microphone, and I have audacity. So I figured I could give my own version of micro stories a try. My players and I built the setting (Boston) of our urban fantasy game together, figuring out what supernatural creatures would be running around, the organizations and interesting locations, and where their home base would be... The Boston Public Library. But most of that was done in broad strokes, and the stories were ways that could flesh things out a bit. But I have a rule for them, the stories can't even answer questions, just create more.

This mix of story and audio is what I came up with:

An Act of Mercy

Entropy

The Light Drinkers

Each of those tiny audio files is only a couple minutes long, and sometimes the background music is better chosen than others. But I really enjoy putting these together, and it doesn't take much time at all. And it really does set the mood at the table. I sort of love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strixhaven and Cypher: NPC Companions and Rules for Studying and Exams

 Strixhaven in Cypher I'm running Strixhaven and powering it with the Cypher System. And by running Strixhaven I mean that I'm runni...