Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Taco Tuesdays: Costume Fairy Adventures!

Welcome to Taco Tuesdays, where I add more meat to your gaming tortilla by featuring cool, new systems! 

You guys, if I have a wheel house its cute things, and creepy things. And today's featured game is maybe the cutest game I've ever seen.

Remember how incredible Final Fantasy X-2 was? I know, I know. Everyone hated it. It was clearly made to market to a female audience, and it was crazy condescending. But look, it was exactly marketed to me, and I loved every second of it. Getting to play a Yuna Magical Girl game where clothes determined if I was shooting guns or casting Rage on people?! Yes please!

And this game comes closer to that experience that any table top rpg I've ever seen. Welcome to Costume Fairy Adventures!

"Ladies, I have called you all here today to steal this train... and jump it over the palace!"

That's the first line that introduces you to the flavor of the game. Isn't that amazing? This game is published by Penguin King Games , and it advertises itself as an "improvisational game for 2 to 7 players. About fairies. In costumes. Having adventures."

 I think that Penguin King Games has been spying on me, because never in my entire life have I run across a game that just speaks to me like this one.

The base mechanic that resolves situations is a dice pool influenced by your Facets and Quirks. Facets are a tiny bit like attributes in Dungeons and Dragons, while Quirks sorta work like Aspects in Fate. You get at least one die, extra dice depending on the strength of your facet, and you can invoke a quirk for an extra die by telling the group how that quirk applies to the situation.

And if you roll a six? Well, then you get a magic point and the GM gets a trouble point. That lets you use magic, and lets the GM screw you over however they want.

I haven't played this yet, but it's likely going to be the only game I'll run from now on. I'm running Curse of Strahd with my 5e D&D group, but starting next session I'm switching it around. The players will be playing fairies, fighting werewolves and vampires, and the theme will change from gothic/fantastical horror to super cute and creepy shock horror. It's going to be so exciting!

Okay, not really. Although I would run that game in a heart beat. Anyways, check out the game. It's incredible. And if you want to play in a one shot with me let me know, because I'll do just about anything to find a Costume Fairy Adventures group.

2 comments:

  1. I think ties for best game with "everything is dolphins"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of "Everything is Dolphins," do you have a link so I can go check out the awesomeness? Maybe I'll talk about it next Taco Tuesday :P

    ReplyDelete

Strixhaven and Cypher: NPC Companions and Rules for Studying and Exams

 Strixhaven in Cypher I'm running Strixhaven and powering it with the Cypher System. And by running Strixhaven I mean that I'm runni...