Friday, May 18, 2018

The Hiatus

Sorry for the long hiatus everyone. Probably no one super cares. But the reason is that I've been thinking a lot about this whole blog thing.

When I started this whole blog project with Sam, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I spammed my blog with posts about everything. I knew that when I look at my DMing style, the thing I'm most proud of is my ability to improv.

But this project got... bigger than I ever thought it would. Not in the sense of having more followers, but in the scope of what I want to do with it. I started a podcast with Sam. I started looking into self publishing, and reading blogs that don't just talk about stories, but also provide real content, and I sort of think that if I'm really going to do this blog thing long term, I would really like to provide useful content. Like, concrete things that a person can take away from my blog and use in their next game.

I'm still not sure what shape that takes though. I can come up with unique monster statistics so DMs can use them in their own material. I can come up with simple drop in settings, or lists of quirky NPCs. And those things are fun, but they don't really add to the concept of the blog.

I wanted this to be a platform to teach better improv as a dungeon master. But I'm not sure what concrete tools look like. The only real idea I have is putting together short dungeons with an improv presentation - something I think that most modules would really benefit from.

I also think that I might start live streaming at some point. I have this idea that I could live stream some world building... show people my approach to developing completely new settings, and what falls out of that. And that might be fun... but again, I don't know that it's entirely useful.

For now, I just want to say that this blog isn't forgotten. I'm just in flux while I try to figure out what to do with it. In the meantime, you should totally check out my Podcast, Banshee and Skullboy. You can find a link to the sidebar on the right.

2 comments:

  1. I think, as long as you're having fun showing off world-building, modules, etc, then the content is useful. Your commentary on certain topics is Also useful, as it provides a different perspective on things.

    Looking forward to what you put out, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you! Hearing that makes me feel quite a bit better. I am going to start streaming things, starting off tonight at 9pm est. I'm about to make a post on that right now!

    ReplyDelete

Strixhaven and Cypher: NPC Companions and Rules for Studying and Exams

 Strixhaven in Cypher I'm running Strixhaven and powering it with the Cypher System. And by running Strixhaven I mean that I'm runni...