Friday, April 6, 2018

Hero Forge Character Art

As someone who runs most of their games online, mostly using roll-20, I'm always on the look out for good art assets that will make my game look good. Alas, I'm not really a map person, so my games never have the professional polish of dynamic lighting, but I like to have decent looking tokens, character art, and setting art to show off to the players. It adds atmosphere to a game nearly as much as theme appropriate music playing softly in the background.
Before

Today I found a way to create character art that I fell in love with. It's super simple. First you head over to Hero Forge and use the character designer to make the perfect character. After that I opened the screenshot in Gimp (you could use Photoshop, or any number of other graphic design programs). I made a new layer, set the opacity to 55%, and then just used a brush to color in the miniature. It's like coloring in a color book, and because the opacity is set so low, the shadows are preserved in decent detail.

After
I've used other character creators in the past. The Guild Wars 2 character creator is fantastic at designing characters if you happen to own the game. And the creator in Elder Scrolls games are usually pretty good as well, although a bit more grim than I usually like. Elder Scrolls Online is free to download if you want to give that a look too.

Quick post today, but wanted to share something I just discovered that I'm likely to get a lot of use out of.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard amazing things about the Black Desert Online character creator as well. I know they were making the character creator as a standalone thing but I'm having trouble locating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After doing some research, it turns out that the free Black Desert Character creator was a prelaunch promotion. It hasn't been available since February 22nd, 2016. Which is really sad, because after looking at some screenshots of the creator it looks absolutely amazing...

    ReplyDelete

Strixhaven and Cypher: NPC Companions and Rules for Studying and Exams

 Strixhaven in Cypher I'm running Strixhaven and powering it with the Cypher System. And by running Strixhaven I mean that I'm runni...